FORMATIVE ESSAY QUESTION
- Choose either Expression Theory, Institutional Accounts of Art, or Cluster Accounts of Art and assess whether this approach to classifying art is successful.
SUMMATIVE ESSAY QUESTIONS
- Is so-called ‘primitive’ or ‘traditional’ art ‘Art’?
- Should we distinguish art from craft?
- Can pornography be art?
- Are ‘aesthetic’ properties, such as being beautiful, elegant, garish, etc., objective properties of artworks?
- What is aesthetic experience?
- Can there be aesthetic experience of the everyday?
- Can aesthetic appreciation of the everyday make the world a better place?
- Can we make sense of claims which state that a particular cultural form belongs to a particular culture?
- Are some instances of cultural appropriation acts of theft? Why or why not?
- ‘Cultural appropriation is wrong in some cases because it contributes to the destruction of the culture.’ Discuss.
- To what extent are conventions involved in depiction?
- Explain Wollheim’s notion of ‘seeing-in’. Can it account for depiction?
- Is Kendall Walton’s account of pictorial representation successful?
- Is creativity in art a rational activity or process?
- Is there reason to think that mental illness is an advantage when it comes to creating art?
- To what extent is creativity a social phenomenon?