The assessment for this module comprises an optional formative essay, and a compulsory summative essay. Only the mark for the latter essay counts towards your mark for the module. The formative essay provides an opportunity for you to practice the skills required to do well in philosophy. You will receive feedback and a grade for it. The topics for the optional formative essay will also appear on the exam.
FORMATIVE ESSAY QUESTION
- Choose either Expression Theory, Institutional Accounts of Art, or Cluster Accounts of Art and assess whether this approach to classifying art is successful.
SUMMATIVE ESSAY QUESTIONS
It may be possible to write your essay addressing a question that is not on this list. If you have an idea for a topic you want to write about, have a chat with me. You cannot write an essay question about a topic that will be on the exam.
- Is so-called ‘primitive’ or ‘traditional’ art ‘Art’?
- Should we distinguish art from craft?
- Can pornography be art?
- Are ‘aesthetic’ properties, such as being beautiful, elegant, garish, etc., objective properties of artworks?
- (a) What is aesthetic experience?
(b) Can there be aesthetic experience of the everyday?
- Can aesthetic appreciation of the everyday make the world a better place?