You must write two essays. Choose from the list of questions listed here.
It may be possible to write your essay addressing a question that is not on this list. If you have an idea for a topic you want to write about, have a chat with me. The exam will be on the latter part of the course.
You cannot write an essay question about a topic that will be on the exam.
- (a) Choose either Expression Theory, Institutional Accounts of Art, or Cluster Accounts of Art and assess whether this approach to classifying art is successful.
(b) Is there any universal account of art?
- Is so-called ‘primitive’ or ‘traditional’ art ‘Art’?
- Should we distinguish art from craft?
- Can pornography be art?
- Are ‘aesthetic’ properties, such as being beautiful, elegant, garish, etc., objective properties of artworks?
- (a) What is aesthetic experience?
(b) Can there be aesthetic experience of the everyday?
- Can aesthetic appreciation of the everyday make the world a better place?