Reading: Matthes, Erich Hatala. 2016. Cultural appropriation without cultural essentialism? Social Theory and Practice,42 (2): 343-366, section B.
- Thinking back to the lecture discussion last week, what is cultural essentialism? Why is this an undesirable position?
- What is the family resemblance account of culture and cultural membership?
- What is wrong with it, according to Matthes?
- Explain the self-identification account.
- Why won’t this work?
- What is Suzy Killmister’s ‘reframing the question’ approach?
- Can it solve the problem?
- What is strategic essentialism?
- Does this provide the account we need to make sense of cultural appropriation?
- Describe the appeal to lineages.
- Does this solve the problem?