Reading: Gracyk, T. 2012. The Philosophy of Art. Malden: Polity Press, ch.1, section 1.2. [DROPBOX]
- What are the two competing positions that someone might take on pictures?
- Explain the distinction between denotation and predication.
- What do conventionalists claim about pictures?
- Explain the four reasons for holding the conventionalist position.
- What is Goodman’s argument for conventionalism?
- How do perceptual theorists respond to Goodman’s conventionalism?
- What is Hopkins’ account of outline form?
- How do perceptual theorists manage to accommodate conventionalism by appealing to intentions?
- What is recognition theory?
- Explain the objection to it in the last paragraph of page 11.